Faith and Inspiration!! Friendship and Resources!! Come and stay a while!!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Shop for a Cure?

Recently, I’ve received a few flyers and personalized mass-invitations inviting me to support a particular cause by shopping. The first I received was from a clothing store advertising a ladies night where, for every $65 I spent, $5 would go to support breast cancer research. The flyer left me with the uncomfortable feeling that I was being manipulated.

I have no argument with the cause – in the past year breast cancer has been diagnosed in 3 women I care about. While it might have been an honest attempt by the retailer to support a worthy cause, I doubt it. For a number of years, we’ve been encouraged to purchase many items in pink and the manufacturer or retailer (or both) will send funds to breast cancer research. When you read the fine print, there is often a maximum dollar amount that will be sent and the percentage of each sale is tiny. You don't actually know that your purchase contributed to the cause.

Is this the best way to show we care? By shopping? Are we to sooth our need to help our fellow citizens by consuming? Or is this pure manipulation on the part of retailers and manufacturers? By appealing to our altruistic impulses, can they more easily separate us women from our money? I've bought pink and I've struggled with whether or not I should.

What do you think? Do you buy pink? Why or why not?

4 comments:

Waltrude G. - Grandmothergoose said...

You certainly have given us something to think about!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sherri. I don't buy pink necessarily to support breast cancer. If I support breast cancer, I give it directly.

C uS Dance! said...

Do I buy pink? Yes indeedy I do. My reasons are many and not altogether lofty. I like pink. I like supporting the breast cancer cause and I like that others may know it when I use a pink post-it note with a pink ribbon on it. A cure for breast cancer is high on my prayer list so I support it through donations and awareness. Do I think that purchasing pink post-its and socks with ribbons is a great donation? No, and I agree with Sherri that we need to be aware of the fine print. But I will choose a pink product over another comparable product for the same price, if only for the awareness factor.

Great topic. Thanks Sherri.

Dee said...

I don't buy pink, I'm not really a fan of pink. I never really thought why, do I support breast cancer research or not? I would like to support anyone with any prolonged disease whom are in pain, but buying a product isn't necessarily a show of support for me, I think prayer is more effective. God will guide me how to support His people who needs it. I know I think simplistically, but I don't like generalities, I like to be personally involved individually.

"As each has received a gift, employ it for one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace." 1 Peter 4:10